There are more different types of lip piercings than there are ear piercings. These are a divided into single piercings, and pairs or sets called “bites.” Almost all bite piercings are lip piercings.
The exceptions are the venom bites piercing, which is a pair of tongue piercings, and the vampire bites piercing which is a pair of surface piercings done on the neck. Anyway, this list should cover all of the types of piercings for the lips.
Single Lip Piercings
- Standard Lip Piercing – This is a single piercing done off centered on the lower lip. A captive bead ring (CBR) or labret stud can be worn.
- Monroe Piercing – This is a single piercing done on the left side of the upper lip and is named for the mole on Marilyn Monroe’s lip. Usually a labret stud is worn in this piercing.
- Madonna Piercing – Similar to the Monroe piercing, but done on the right-hand side.
- Medusa Piercing – A piercing done just above the center of the upper lip.
- Labret Piercing – This is a piercing done just below the center of the lower lip. Technically, “labret” is a type of jewelry, and this piercing is called a “center lip piercing,” but most people understand that this is the location of the “labret piercing” as it’s frequently called. A labret stud or captive bead ring can be worn.
- Vertical Labret Piercing– Similar to the labret, except that it is pierced vertically with one end coming out of the standard labret piercing area, and the other coming up through and out of center of the actual lip. A bent barbell or CBR is worn in this piercing.
- Ashley Piercing – A variation of the vertical labret, but the lower hole in the piercing is actually in the mouth leaving just the hole on the lip visible.
- Jestrum Piercing – This piercing is like the vertical labret, but done on the top lip like the Medusa.
- Dahlia Piercing – This piercing is done at the corners of the mouth. It’s more common to see this piercing done in pairs, though it doesn’t have to be.
- 2 Piercings
- Snake Bites Piercing – The snakebites piercing is a pair of piercings with one on each side of the lower lip.
- Angel Bites Piercing – This piercing is like the snakebite, but on the upper lip.
- Dolphin Bites Piercing – This piercing is two piercings centered on the lower lip, similar to the snake bite piercing, but closer together.
- Spider Bites Piercing or Viper Bites Piercing – This is a pair of piercings that are close together and on the bottom lip
- Cyber Bites Piercing – This is a combination of the Medusa and Labret piercings – one piercing done in the center just above the top and just below the bottom lip.
- 4 Piercings
- Shark Bites Piercing – This is a pair of spider/viper bites piercings – two close together piercings done on both sides of the lower lip – 4 piercings total
- Canine Bites Piercing – This is single piercing done on both sides of both the upper and lower lips. Basically, a combination of the Angel bite & Snake bite piercings.